Drugstore beauty buys are either the best or worst kept secret of the beauty world, depending on your shopping habits and level of snobbery. My champagne taste has led me to do most of my beauty shopping at places like Sephora/Nordstrom/Barney’s, but in my continuing quest to look good and expensive and stylish without actually spending my whole paycheck, I’m incorporating more and more drugstore beauty products into my routine. Here are a few of my favorites:
- L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara in Carbon Black – Mascara is definitely one area where you really, really don’t have to spend a lot of money because the “cheap” brands are just as good as the expensive ones, if not better. I’ve tried Dior, Lancome, and more, and this gold and black tube remains my favorite. It gives you full, long lashes, the waterproof version stays put during workouts, and it clocks in at less than $10. Win win win.
- Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips – My sister Emma (the makeup artist, so you, know, she is actually qualified to comment on this stuff) likes these because they’re super similar to the Bobbi Brown shimmer bricks, so she says “they give you dimensional color” with more of a shine than an intense glitter.
- Neutrogena Makeup Wipes – I’ve tried more expensive wipes but I keep coming back to these guys, and always have a travel size pack in my gym bag. If they are good enough for Kim K (she uses the Night Calming version), they are good enough for me.
- Simple Micellar Water – Micellar water is a French girl skincare secret that’s recently made its way to the States. You could splurge on fancy schmancy versions, but why would you when this one works so well? It cleanses, removes makeup and moisturizes all-in-one, so it’s a great addition to your nightly skincare routine, or, you know, it could also be your entire nightly skincare routine if you’re lazy.
- Revlon Photoready Foundation – Love Make Up For Ever but don’t have $40+ to drop on foundation? Revlon makes great dupes… both liquid and stick forms! The whole Photoready line is pretty great, actually.
- NYX Contour Palette – According to Emma, this palette is a dupe for the Anastasia contour palette. She says it’s smooth and “buttery without being cakey or dry,” so it’s high quality on a budget.
- Sonia Kashuk Makeup Remover – Okay, this is technically a Target exclusive, but same basic principle, right? I’ve been using this for years; it’s super similar to Lancome’s beloved Bi-Facil for literally, like, half the price.
- Neutrogena Rainbath – here’s a fun trick: splurge once on that trendy, photogenic Aesop body wash (or ask for it as a gift!), then once you run out, refill the bottle with this tried and true favorite.
What are your favorite drugstore beauty buys? Let me know what I should pick up on my next Target run in the comments!