Today is the autumn equinox, the first official day of fall (though Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte schedule would have you believe otherwise). How many more posts can I write about fall, you ask? A lot, because it’s my favorite season. Yes, I will miss the days when boozy sno cones were de rigueur, but cozy library bars, bookshops, scarves, etc. more than make up for it.
Even though the leaves are falling, fall feels like a season of beginning – maybe it’s the smell of all those freshly sharpened pencils in the air. So, in the spirit of the season and fall goals, here’s my #FallSyllabus (thanks Warby Parker for the genius hashtag).
Required Reading, Listening, + Projects:
- A Cup of Jo has a list of five fall books everyone will be talking about, to which I will add my two most anticipated of the season: Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling (her first book is flawless) and Tales From the Back Row by Amy Odell, editor of Cosmpolitan.com (who is a total #Girlboss, funny fashion person and very much my career role model)
- For all those reading, baking, closet cleaning and goal-planning sessions, you’re going to need some fall tunes. Look no further.
- I fully intend on doing a closet purge and refresh this season, especially since fall outfits are some of the most fun to plan. Glitter Guide has some super wearable options here for inspiration.
- Fall flavored drinks: If this isn’t the season to consume copious amounts of festive beverages, then I don’t know what is. Give me all of the pumpkin beer, cider and chai tea, please.
- Seasonally-inspired makeup: I am berry excited for deeper fall makeup colors, particularly lipstick and nail polish, as well as the ability to make terrible puns about them. I recently picked up my first berry lip, MAC’s “Diva” with burgundy liner. (Thank goodness my sister is a makeup artist who can pick these colors for me – seriously, check out her YouTube channel if you need help with anything beauty.)
- Choice fall accessory: Like a felt hat. Confession: I had never owned a hat-as-accessory before, because I thought I “couldn’t do hats.” That is, until this $20 Target beauty entered my life. Everyone can do hats, you just have to find the right one. They are super chic, and you should totally get one.
- New specs: For all the reading and Netflixing you’ll be doing as the weather cools down (see required reading, above). I have loved Warby Parker since I first heard of them a few years ago, and the new fall collection is just calling my name – especially the Simone in tea rose fade. I wear contacts almost exclusively, but with a pair of glasses that cute, that might just change. Plus, for every pair of glasses sold, Warby Parker works to provide affordable lenses and eye exams to those in need.
- Any and every coffee shop in Chicago, because they are magical and wonderful. From Heritage Bicycles to Wormhole Coffee, I want to try them all. In fact, I’ve tried both of those and wholeheartedly recommend them. Try anything with lavender syrup at Heritage and the Honey Bear at Wormhole.
- The 606 or other parks in Chicago, for that perfect Instagram of leaves changing colors before it gets too cold.
- Armitage Avenue for back-to-school shopping, from Paper Source to Shop 857 (so well-curated, I want to get dressed there every morning) to, yes, Warby Parker: I am lucky enough to have a Warby Parker storefront right in my neighborhood, on one of my favorite shopping and dining streets in the whole city, to boot. Luckily, if I were feeling too lazy to even hop on the Brown Line, Warby Parker has a home try-on program where they will send you five frames – for free – so you can decide which looks best on you. (But if you have a store near you…go. They’re adorable and fantastic.)
So – that’s my fall to-do list. Check out what some other fabulous bloggers had to say about their fall goals, below (as part of The B Bar’s wonderful monthly linkup series):
Annie Reeves – 26 and Not Counting – Alyssa J Freitas – Carly Blogs – Feathers and Stripes – Carrie Loves – White Oak Creative – PRBlonde – Sequins & Strawberries – Pieced Together – PreppyPanache – Knowing Kelly – Something Good – Life By Bri – My Beauty Cloud – La Vie Petite – Wealthy in Health – White Cabana – Mrs. on the Move – Life Modifier – Everyday Cuvée – A Little Leopard – Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough – L is for Lucy – Cori’s Corner – Beauty and the Pitch – Dreams and Colour Schemes – Viciloves – Lights Camera Catwalk – Pattern Me Pretty – A Few of My Favorite Things – Chic Glamorous and Splendid – She’s All Smiles – StyledbyKesha – Suzy Speaks – Luv in the Bubble – The Minimalist
And, if so inclined, shop all my “school supply” picks mentioned in this post:
This post was written in collaboration with Warby Parker
All images (c) Warby Parker