I am so excited (+ a teensy bit nervous!!) to share my first personal style post here on A Little Leopard, and super grateful to Nicky for the fabulous photos. Nicky shoots film, and we ran into a small snag with the camera during this shoot – which means less photos, but the super-cool dual layer effect in the first one. You win some, you lose some, I guess?
I decided to feature this little ensemble first because it’s a pretty good representation of my style generally: super-neutral and slightly preppy with a dash of French vocabulary. I have a thing for clothes with French words on them, okay?
I like to think of myself as a minimalist prep. You’ll never see me go full Lilly Pulitzer – in fact, I rarely wear color at all. Navy is pretty wild for me, if I’m being completely honest. I just feel like I’ve got enough color on my head, I suppose!
Sunglasses: Target / “Bien Fait” Sweatshirt: Madewell (old; similar) / Chambray shirt: J.Crew Factory (similar here and here) / Fluted skirt: J.Crew (old; Factory version here) / Tights: Express (H&M also has great tights) / Flats: J.Crew Factory
In other news, the lovely Janette Amelia nominated me for a Liebster Award this week. Some quick Googling reveals this is an award for bloggers by bloggers, designed to help discover new and growing blogs – I am all for that! You answer a set of questions about your blog/your life and then nominate other bloggers to keep the chain going. Here are Janette’s questions, and my answers:
- How did you get into blogging?
This is a bit embarrassing, but I totally had a LiveJournal back in the day. I’ve always been a bit geeky and into computers, writing, and the internet – blogging was a perfect way to marry those interests with my love of all things lifestyle!
- What’s your favorite topic to blog about?
Though I ostensibly started A Little Leopard as a fashion blog first, I’m finding I really love writing about decor and interior design – probably because I am in the midst of decorating my own apartment!
- What’s your favorite time of the day?
Okay, I am so not a morning person. That fact was even part of my Twitter bio for awhile. But, once I’ve gotten out of bed, I find I really love the morning hours. Not only am I more productive, the day is just full of possibility at that point. There’s something optimistic about that, no?
- Do you have any pets?
None that live with me, but my family has got two dogs and a cat – all rescues. I love animals and am a massive supporter of organizations like the Humane Society and ASCPA. Mutts are the best!
- What is the last song you listened to?
“What Kind Of Man” – Florence + The Machine. Obsessed. I’ve also been listening to a lot of “Shut Up And Dance” by Walk The Moon lately, too.
- Best movie you watched in the last year?
The Grand Budapest Hotel – I just love Wes Anderson. As a huge Marvel nerd, Guardians of the Galaxy is up there too.
- What’s one life lesson you’ve learned over the years?
The necessity of a thick skin, in work and in life. Taking things personally is a waste of time and energy. The world simply does not care that much – it sounds harsh, but I find it sort of liberating, actually. This took me years to learn and I am still learning it, but that’s what life is about, right?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
A safari and Giraffe Manor in Kenya! I would absolutely love to honeymoon there. You know, whenever I get married, eventually.
- Who is your celebrity crush?
Tom Hiddleston, that charming British devil – although he had me at F. Scott Fitzgerald in Midnight in Paris, where he totally had an American accent.
- Favorite sports team?
Anyone who knows me knows I am crazy about the Chicago Blackhawks. Any other sport I can take or leave, but I get sort of fanatical about hockey. For example, I don’t have cable, so I listen to the games I can’t get on TV… #dedication. You’re also likely to find me talking to the tv/radio and tweeting up a storm at any given point during a Hawks game. It’s probably embarrassing, but whatever.
I am going to nominate a few of the lovely ladies I linked up with last week: Jordana and Kate, and my friend Stephanie because I really want her to start blogging again! Keep reading for your questions…
- How did you come up with the name of your blog? (I am always so fascinated to hear this…)
- Who are your style inspirations?
- If you could trade lives with anyone for a day, who would you pick and why?
- What is something people are always surprised to learn about you?
- What is your favorite place in the world and why?
- What is your Zodiac sign? Do you believe in astrology/do you think your sign fits?
- Favorite book and why?
- What are three of your daily essentials? Can be any category: Makeup, apps, your phone, just three things you couldn’t live without.
- In the spirit of the season, who is your pick for Oscars best dressed?
- What are your daily reads?
- Are there any quotes or mottos your particularly live by? If so, what?